Friday, April 3, 2009

What am I choosing ... when I feel threatened?




There is a heaviness in my heart, almost a nauseous feeling, and an impulse to escape.

I hate feeling this way.

How much of this is in response to the current situation, and how much is survival response reminding me of past dangers, to urge me to take cover, stay safe, "survive!"?

Physical danger is unlikely in this situation. But my physical and emotional reactions are so intricately tied together, just as my current and past experiences are so intimately tied together, that it is difficult to know what to respond to and what to ignore.

Ignoring danger can result in dire consequences.

I hate feeling this way. I know it's a choice; I'm just not sure what is necessary right now, and what I can discard.


No comments: