Thursday, January 22, 2009

Procrastination


I've started this blog to help me explore the question(s), as a repository for musings and clippings and thoughts and resources I might find.

Today, I'm using it as a place for all that, but I'm mindful that I'm also not prepared for a presentation I'm doing tomorrow night. Why am I doing this instead of preparing for tomorrow?

Is procrastination healthy?

Okay, to be fair to my Self, I have to admit I'm not totally procrastinating. Some of what I've done instead of getting ready for tomorrow is necessary: final edits on the summer camp brochure. That's healthy. And I *have* been assembling materials for tomorrow night's gathering.

I'm just not prepared with what I could really call a ritual. And part of that is a discomfort with creating a ritual that might not feel authentic. Setting the stage for sharing among the women who will gather tomorrow night ... I'm comfortable with that. But "ritual" carries more weight, more solemnity, and requires more than just copying bits from this source and that. I don't feel qualified to do a ritual.

That feels authentic. Not pretending. That's healthy.

Now I know how to prepare for tomorrow night. No more procrastination necessary.

No comments: